After a Car Accident
Without doubt, the first step to take after being injured in a car accident is seeking medical attention. Visiting the local ER immediately ensures that you’re nursed back to optimal health, have less health concerns later down the road, and that, when the time comes, you have the necessary proof to help you win your accident claim. As soon as possible, however, you should contact a car accident attorney.
Lawsuits may be filed after a car accident seeking damages. To win a case, you must prove that negligence caused the accident. There are four elements that you must prove in order to recover compensatory damages. First, you must prove a breach; Second, you must prove duty. Third, you must prove cause, and fourth, harm. In a nutshell you must prove that the other driver failed to obey the basic rules of the road, acting negligently, causing your accident. The other driver could have acted negligently in many ways, including not following laws, speeding, or failing to maintain control of their vehicle. Breach is usually proven through eyewitnesses to the accident, videos, or failed blood alcohol tests. Circumstantial evidence, such as skid marks in the road or smudges of paint also prove duty. It is also your responsibility to prove that the accident caused the injuries that you are seeking images for. This is why you simply must visit the doctor for your injuries as quickly as possible.
Along with talking to a lawyer and getting the medical attention that you need, there are a few other tops to keep in mind that will help you with your lawsuit.
- Don’t blame others for the accident. Admitting fault is the most common mistake made by those involved in an accident.
- Do not depend only on the police to gather evidence. If you hear someone giving a statement, gather their name and information. Or, better yet, record the conversation.
- Record a video that shows the conditions of the road, the weather that day and even shots of the accident.
- Take the names of the police officers who responded to your accident.
- Do not sign any papers or agree to any deals before speaking to a competent car accident attorney.
Ask family and friends to refer you to a great personal injury lawyer. Usually this is a great way to find the specialist who will handle your accident with care and concern.